AzSTC Releases Lesya Ukrainka’s First-Ever Printed Book in Azerbaijani
The Azerbaijan State Translation Centre (AzSTC), as the winner of a literary grant organized by the Ukrainian Book Institute’s Translate Ukraine programme on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of birth of the outstanding Ukrainian writer, translator, folklorist, public and cultural activist Lesya Ukrainka, published the author’s book The Forest Song in Azerbaijani translation.
The poetry collection presented to the Azerbaijani reader for the first time was translated by the famous Azerbaijani poet Salam Sarvan through word-by-word translation from Ukrainian.
The author of the foreword is Pusta Akhundova, and the editor is Bahlul Abbasov.
The book has been released by the AzSTC-based publishing house
· the outstanding Ukrainian writer;
· was born to a noble family on February 25, 1871 in the town of Novohrad-Volynskyi (present Jitomir oblast) of Ukraine;
· wrote in different genres (poetry, epos, drama, prose);
· was an active member of Ukrainian national movement in the early 20th century;
· the author of poetry books, such as “On the Wings of Songs” (1893), “An Ancient Tale” (1893), “Thoughts and Dreams” (1899), “Cassandra” (1903–1907);
· as a result of an opinion poll held in Ukraine Lesya Ukrainka is mentioned in the same breath with such great historical figures as Taras Shevchenko and Bohdan Khmelnitsky;
· died at the age of 42 on 1 August 1913 in Surami, Georgia.
You can find copies of the edition at one of the many bookstore locations listed below:
‘Akademiya’ book house
Book house at the Secretariat of the Presidential Administration of the Azerbaijan Republic
Sales kiosk on the premises of the Azerbaijan University of Languages
‘Pero’ book house
‘Oxumalı’ book house
‘Lider’ book house
Javid Zeynally’s Short Story on Austrian Literature Portal
“Gedichtesammlung.net”, the Austrian literature portal, has posted in German the short story “The Geography Teacher’s Jacket” by Javid Zeynally, a young talented writer, within the frame of the AzSTC project “The Latest Azerbaijan Literature.”
Shahmar’s Short Story on Foreign Literature Portals
“alharir.info”, the Algerian news portal, and “alnoor.se”, the Iraqi literary portal, have posted in Arabic the short story “The Loss” by Sahmar, a notable Azerbaijani writer, as part of the AzSTC project “Azerbaijan Literature in an International Virtual World.”
Contribution to the “Year of Shusha” – Publication of the Book “Shusha – the Pearl of Karabakh”
Within the Year of the City of Shusha, declared in the country, The State Translation Centre (AzSTC) has published an elegantly designed book-album “Shusha – the Pearl of Karabakh”